Note: The process outlined in this guide will work for 4th Gen Tablo while using EXTERNAL storage.
If your 4th Gen Tablo is using internal storage refer to this article.
If you are trying to factory reset your Legacy Tablo, visit this article.
What is a factory reset?
When a factory reset is performed on the Tablo DVR, it is restored to its 'out-of-the-box' state and is essentially running as a new unit. The Tablo DVR's database and all troubleshooting logs will be erased, along with all recordings and recording schedules available on the attached hard drive.
Your Tablo DVR’s current firmware version will be maintained during the factory reset.
You may wish to perform a factory reset on Tablo for one of the following reasons:
- You are selling your Tablo DVR
- You are giving your Tablo DVR to a new owner
- You have tried absolutely everything else to fix your Tablo (including talking to our amazing Tablo Support representatives).
A factory reset should not be attempted as a troubleshooting step and should only be done as a last resort by someone who knows what they’re doing.
By factory resetting the device, any and all old data accumulated during your usage of the device is erased including information that could be critical for Tablo Support representatives to provide accurate troubleshooting assistance.
Before attempting a factory reset, we recommend trying some of the more basic troubleshooting steps found in this article of the Tablo Knowledge Base.
If these steps do not successfully solve your issue, we recommend consulting the Tablo Knowledge Base, Tablo Community, or Tablo Support team for further assistance.
If you would still like to proceed with a factory reset, the steps are as follows:
WARNING: Proceeding with the factory reset steps below will erase all recordings and recording schedules from your Tablo DVR.
- Reboot your Tablo DVR by tapping and immediately releasing the white reset button on the bottom of your device. Let the Tablo boot up for ~1 minute. The reboot is complete once the blue LED stops flashing.
- Remove the USB hard drive from the back of the Tablo DVR. Do not reattach your hard drive until you have completed Step 6 of this walkthrough.
- Reboot the Tablo DVR again by tapping and immediately releasing the white reset button on the bottom of the unit. Again, wait ~1 minute for the Tablo to boot up. Wait for the blue LED to stop flashing.
- Open the mobile Tablo app on your iOS or Android device. Select the user preferences button on the top right of the application, and then select the 'Sign out' button below your profile. If you are not able to access this screen on the Tablo mobile app, uninstall and then reinstall the app.
- Make sure your Tablo's blue LED is solid. Hold down the white reset button on the bottom of the unit for 7+ seconds. The blue LED on the front of the Tablo DVR will begin to flash faster and faster. Once it again turns solid, the Tablo will begin to factory reset. At this point, you can release the white reset button.
- Open the Tablo mobile application on your iOS or Android device. Select 'I already have an account' and log in to your original account. From here you will be guided through the rest of the setup process.
- You will be guided through the setup process. Ignore any prompts to attach your drive. This includes entering your zip/postal code and running a channel scan. Wait for the channel scan and guide data download to finish.
- Reattach your hard drive. You may still see some old data on the drive but this will be cleaned from your Tablo DVR’s hard drive during overnight maintenance processes.